The students will:
- develop an understanding of Native American culture.
- particicpate in Native American chants and songs.
- explore Native American resources outside of the classroom.
- recognize famous Native Americans.
- develop and awareness of nature in the Appalachian area.
- learn how ideas can become songs.
Possible Pre-program activities:
- on a United States map, locate current Native American reservations.
- discuss Native American cultural and religious beliefs.
- share stories by Native American authors.
- play traditional Native American games.
- complete worksheets related to Native American topics.
- make Native American toys.
- taste Native American food.
- color a picture of a traditional Shawnee Indian's attire.
Possible post-program activities:
- Using the song "If MY Dog Had Hands" as a guide, write a story about what it would be like if their pet could talk, drive, fly, etc.
- Discuss their favorite season and what they enjoy about nature during that season.